Friday, March 16, 2012

Holly Wood's Journal - Excerpt One

(Due to loss of screenshots, use of full-text story format for this and next update).


Journal Entry #26

So I met someone new today.

I was starting to go absolutely bonkers cooped up in the house, as I hadn’t had a chance to go out in several weeks. Pep and Pop were sweet enough to watch their little sisters while mom got in some much needed alone time. Well, Pepper was sweet enough, Poppy kind’ve got roped into it whether she liked it or not.

I set out around midday, with no real destination in mind. Just driving through the streets and eventually the dirt back roads of Hidden Springs, taking in the scenery and the quiet peace. I love my girls, but living in a house with teenage twins and pre-teen twins can be trying on the nerves of a saint.

I slowed the car down a bit as I reached the cemetery. I hadn’t been out this way much, no real need, but Pepper and Poppy had had a field trip out here a few weeks ago and came back with all sorts of stories about their tour of the Mausoleum. I wasn’t necessarily adventurous, but I was certainly not faint of heart and the prospect of ghosts or creepy crawlies didn’t give me pause. Curious, I parked the van and got out, intent on doing some exploring. Little did I know that my little field-trip of one would have a far different conclusion than the one I had originally intended.

After a few minutes of aimless meandering I suddenly realized that I wasn’t alone like I’d thought. Tall, dark and handsome—and I have to admit I have a weakness for that. Still, this was a cemetery I reminded my overactive estrogen orchestra. Not exactly the most fitting place for romance. Mr. Hunky stood in profile to me, so I intended to continue on without making my presence known. I must have stepped on a twig or something though, because all of a sudden he turned fully toward me. Wow, if I thought the side was nice, it was nothing compared to the frontal view. He had a pair of amazing gray eyes to go along with that caramel tanned skin and thick black hair. And then he smiled at me.

Gark.

“Uh, sorry!” I murmured somewhat sheepishly. “I didn’t mean to disturb you.”

“Oh, it’s no trouble,” he assured rather gallantly. “You’re not disturbing me from anything. I’m new in town and I just thought I’d check out all the sights.”

Ah, so he wasn’t here to mourn the loss of a loved one. And another newbie in town? Could I resist such a perfect set up?

A wide grin slowly spread across my face. Plumbob preserve me, but noooooo way.

I introduced myself properly and welcomed him warmly to the neighborhood. I found out then that his name was Blaze Hespepo (by Amberwaves). We chatted for a few minutes, flirted even longer and then I suggested maybe we could tour the old Mausoleum together. Turns out he was as brave as I was and had no problems with the idea. Making out in a house of dead people could probably be chalked up as one of the weirdest things I’ve ever done, but it was pretty exciting too. Blaze certainly didn’t seem to mind.

Our exploration—from the Mausoleum and each other’s tonsils—ended up getting us both pretty dirty, though. Luckily I had just the plan to solve things, and coyly offered to head back to my place for a quick shower and maybe some dinner before he had to go home. Blaze was more than willing to follow that plan. He followed me back to the house, and by that time night had fallen. I was glad to see the girls had listened to me for once and were in bed on time like I’d ordered before I left.

I showed Blaze to the downstairs bathroom, made sure he had plenty of towels and then left him to it. At first, anyhow. I waited until I heard the shower turn on and gave him plenty of time to get in and get settled before I snuck back in. Blaze was a little startled with my reappearance, but he didn’t complain when I pronounced that there was no need to waste water on two showers when one would do just fine.

Not long after that the little hearts of a job well done were floating down around us both.


Journal Entry #32

Ugh. The back-aches this time around are killing me. The massage chair isn’t cutting it, I think I’m going to have to make an appointment at the spa soon to get a full package. One good thing, I don’t think I’m carrying twins this time. I love my girls, but after three sets in a row I think I could use a break.

Speaking of the girls, their reactions to the prospect of a new sibling have varied. Poppy is rather indifferent to it all. Pepper is happy for me so long as I’m happy. Magnolia’s incredibly curious about it all, she’s always wanting to talk to or rub my tummy. And my poor worrisome Maple is terrified that it will all somehow end in some sort of disaster. I hope I can keep her from pulling all her hair out before I’m due to deliver.

Blaze called me today, too. Wanted to check up on me and see how the pregnancy was progressing. He was a little distant over the phone, but I suppose I understand. He didn’t like the fact that I wanted to remain unattached, but he accepted the decision I suppose. We still talked, but there was definitely tension there. Ah, well. He wouldn’t be the first, and sadly I don’t think he’ll be the last.


Journal Entry #36

We welcomed little Kale Wood to the family this morning! A single birth and a beautiful little boy! I’m so so so happy. He’s a perfect little bundle of adorableness, and he’s the spitting image of his daddy. Blaze’s black hair, his caramel complexion, even his gray eyes. Magnolia and Maple were a little let down by the male intruder into their midst, but I’m sure they’ll come around eventually. Pepper fell in love almost as fast as I did and she’s been a huge help to me already, taking care of Kale while I caught up on some much needed sleep. And Poppy . . . is Poppy, I suppose. She tore her eyes away from the TV long enough to glance at her new baby brother and shrug.

“Cool, I guess,” she had pronounced dryly, before turning back to the rerun of Cast Away Island.


Journal Entry #37

My little man is learning by leaps and bounds. We’ve mastered the potty, thank goodness. Not a moment too soon. I love babies, but handling dirty diapers has never been a favorite part of mine in the whole experience. We’re going to go to the park today while the girls are at school to work on our walking. I think the time out of the house and the fresh air will do us both some good.

I can’t help but be a little worried by some of his behavior, as much as I love Kale to pieces. Sometimes I catch him scowling and pummeling that poor doll that the toy company sent him, and cackling in a rather worrisome manner. And just yesterday he was using the building blocks to construct a rather complicated step-ladder system to get to that fishbowl on the dresser that I mistakenly thought was well out of his reach.


Journal Entry #44

I can’t believe Pepper and Poppy are graduating High School today! It seems like time just flies right on by. I was a little surprised that Pepper nabbed the Valedictorian position. Her propensity to check all the faucets in the house to make sure they were working in case of that catastrophic fire that never came really cut into her homework time, after all. She made it work somehow, though. As for Poppy’s case, I was just glad she survived her teenage years and graduated at all. She could be quite the little rebellious handful, but it all worked out in the end. Developing a new adventurous streak, Pepper planned to travel to Shang Sim-La soon after graduation and start on her dream of travelling the world. Poppy had plans of continuing her love relationship with a computer and starting a children’s book. She’d certainly developed the personality for it.

Maple and Magnolia are starting High School this year. My little worry-wort has only gotten even more excitable over the years. Her mood swings have become legendary. Magnolia on the other hand is as mellow as her sister is high-strung. She’s really taken a liking to all the instruments in the house of late, I think she’s tested out every one of them at least once. Though I think she has a special preference for the piano, as I catch her seated in front of the ivory keys more often than anything else.

And Kale . . . well, where to begin. He was given a rather nasty shock from the fritzy computer a few years ago and has now developed an out-in-out hatred for anything that has to do with technology. He’s also taking to calling himself Dr. Destruction and his Imaginary Friend ‘Minion.’ I can usually find him out in the garage tinkering with the tools that Great-Uncle Cypress left out there. A part of me worries what he might come up with out there in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment